Marketing is a sector with a lot of competition. There is no getting away from that fact, but it’s important not to let it put you off of working in the sector. Yes, this might be highly competitive and difficult to get into industry, but it is possible to achieve success in the sector, like with any career path, it’s just a case of knowing the steps that you need to take to succeed, as well as the type of mindset and personality that is required.
Bearing that in mind, below is a guide to the steps that you need to take to get into marketing, as well as advice on the type of personality that you need to have to succeed in the industry.
What personality is required for success?
Each sector has a range of roles, and for each role, there are certain personalities that suit the position best. It’s the same in every industry, from health and beauty to marketing. That is why before you decide to take the leap to work in the marketing industry, it is vital that you are aware of the personality traits that are required for success. The question is, what are these?
- Are you a clear communicator, both verbally and in the written form? If the answer is yes, then the chances are that a role in this field could be a good option for you. The fact is that as a marketer, you will need to be confident enough to share ideas and concepts with others via presentations and formal emails.
- Are you a good solution finder? As a marketing professional, you will be required to recognize problems and work out plans to deal with them. You need to be able to confidently find solutions to problems and deal with them in an effective way.
- Do you have a skill for generating ideas? A big part of working in marketing, regardless of the role that you are in, is generating ideas. Coming up with ideas isn’t only about the initial concept, it’s also about being able to plan these ideas out and come up with ways to communicate them effectively.
If you have the qualities listed above, then you could potentially be the perfect candidate for a career in marketing. Working in the industry isn’t just about your skills and experience, it is also about having the right personality traits to succeed.
What steps do you need to take to make a go of things?
The next step is to determine what steps you need to take to make a go of a career in this industry. The fact is to work in the majority of marketing areas you will need some form of degree. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a marketing degree; it could be a degree in business, for instance, such as a bachelors in business leadership degree. What matters is that you have a degree that will form the basis for your career and will help you to get a foot in the door of the marketing sector.
When it comes to working in marketing, having adequate experience is vital. Of course, gaining experience as a new graduate is not always an easy task. The best option for getting the experience that you need is undertaking an internship or getting involved with community projects as a volunteer. The fact is that when it comes to the marketing sector, experience is invaluable and the more experience you can gain, the higher your chances of success.
What happens if you don’t have a degree but want to work in marketing – is it still possible? The fact is that anything is possible, it’s just a case of wanting it enough. There are many marketing professionals that don’t have degrees in marketing and have still managed to be successful. It may take more work and a longer time to get to where you want to be, but it is doable. If you can work your way up, learning on the job, then you can work in this field without a degree. It won’t be easy, but it is doable.
Why is a career in marketing so worthwhile?
There are thousands of different career paths, so what makes marketing so worthwhile? Why is there so much competition in the industry?
- The industry is dynamic. The fact is that the marketing sector is vast and varied, which means that whatever your skills lay, there is the potential for success working in the sector. From traditional outbound marketing to modern inbound methods of advertising, the marketing industry has a range of different career paths that you could opt to go down. That is what makes it such a fantastic sector to get into.
- It is a creative career path. One of the main reasons why marketing is such a popular option is because it is a creative career path. There is a wide array of marketing platforms, from social media to print marketing. There are various avenues to go down when it comes to projects. No two days are ever the same. Marketing is about personal perceptions of things, creative thinking, and unique ideas.
- There are plenty of opportunities for advancement. That’s the fantastic thing about this industry, once you have got a foot on the ladder, there are plenty of opportunities for advancement. So whatever your career aspirations, you have a high chance of reaching them.
- It is vital to all sectors. One of the main pulls of it as a career is the fact that it is a service that all sectors require help with. This means that as long as people have products and services to sell, there will always be money to be made in marketing.
Marketing may not be an easy career choice – in fact, it is one of the most competitive industries to get into – but it is also one that it is worth taking the time and effort to get into. Your path to success may not be a smooth one, but if you persevere and are willing to work hard, it is possible to succeed.